The Trades House of Glasgow was founded in 1605 to represent and promote the interests of Glasgow's craftsmen, and look after those members and their families who fell on hard times. Like the Merchants House, it was well represented on the Town Council until 1833, but in recent times it has concentrated primarily on raising and distributing funds for charitable purposes.
The Trades House's Commonweal Fund is to be used "for any good and pious use which may tend to the advancement of the "commonweal" of the Burgh." Money from the fund has been made available for publications relating to exhibitions at the University.
The Trades House Medical Prize is awarded annually to the student with the highest marks in written and clinical final examinations.