Biography of Sir Thomas Arthurlie
Sir Thomas Arthurlie (fl 1467) was a chaplain and one of the University's most important early benefactors.
During the first years of the University's existence, its development was hindered by the lack of appropriate teaching and living accommodation for staff and students. Sir Thomas owned some land to the north of the tenement that had been gifted to the Faculty of Arts by James, 1st Lord Hamilton, in 1460. In 1467 Sir Thomas gifted his ground to William Arthurlie, a regent at the University who was probably his brother. Its ownership transferred to the Faculty on William's death, some time about 1478, and provided the University with land on which to build much-needed accommodation on the High Street site.