Biography of Robert Hamilton
Robert Hamilton (1754-1799) was a merchant in Canton, modern day Guangzhou, China, who left the reversion to a proportion of his estate to the University. In 1813 the University replaced the east side of the Inner Quadrangle in the Old College with a new building, which was named the Hamilton Building in anticipation of the receipt of funds from the bequest. The University finally received £11,000 in 1823.
Hamilton was from Airdrie, and died at Jamestown, St Helena in 1799. He was the son of Robert Hamilton (1714-1756), Regius Professor of Botany and Anatomy at the University from 1742 to 1756, and briefly Regius Professor of Practice of Medicine in 1756. His cousin Dr William Hamilton (1758-1790) was also Professor of Anatomy and Botany from 1781 to 1790.