Biography of Gavin Kenny
Gavin Nicolson Cleghorn Kenny (1948-)was Professor of Anaesthesia from 1996-2007. Prior to this he was Lecturer in Anaesthesia from 1977 and became Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in 1984.
Kenny was educated at Hutchesons' Boys' Grammar School before matriculating at the University in 1965 to study medicine. He received an intercalated BSc (honours) degree in physiology in 1970 and a MBChB in 1972. Following junior House Officer posts in Stirling, from 1973-1976 he was Senior House Officer then the Registrar of Anaesthesia at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. He completed his MD in 1982 on 'The application of microcomputers to Anaethesia and Intensive Care'. In the ensuing years he explored pracical applications of computer technology to anaesthetic practice.
Kenny was appointed as Head of Anaesthesia at Health Care International, Clydebank, in 1993 but returned to the Medical School in 1996 to take up the chair of Anaesthesia in the Glasgow Department, retiring in 2007.
Among his many achievements Kenny developed a pump for the delivery of anaesthesia during surgery called the Diprifuser target-controlled infusion (TCI) which was launched in 1996.
He was a founding member and committee member of the UK Society of Intravenous Anaesthesia and President from 2002-2006.
Born 31 January 1948.
University Link: Lecturer, Professor
GU Degrees: BSc, MB ChB, MD,
Occupation categories: anaesthetists
Record last updated: 3rd Dec 2010