Biography of Sir James Lumsden
Sir James Lumsden
Sir James Lumsden of Arden, Dunbartonshire (1808-1879) matriculated at the University in 1821. He became a partner in the family stationery business, James Lumsden & Sons, in 1834. His involvement in the business lasted over forty years, his retirement coming in 1876. Like his brothers, James acted as one of the company’s travellers, travelling extensively in the 1830s. James was prominent among the Glasgow business community; he became Dean of Guild in 1861, and was a member of the Town Council, and held the post of Lord Provost from 1866 until 1869.
James Lumsden was knighted in 1868 after acting as host to the Prince and Princess of Wales when they visited Glasgow to lay the foundation stone for the new University buildings on Gilmorehill. His business interested extended beyond the family business, with him taking an interest in the Clyde Navigation and Lighthouse Trusts. He was director of the Glasgow and South Western Railway from 1849, becoming Chairman in 1871; was director and Chairman of the Clydesdale Bank; and was the last chairman of Clyde Shipping Company before its sale to a private interest in 1857.