Biography of Bill Lind
William Lind (1931-2007) was a quarrymaster and road haulier, and a benefactor of the University. In 1987 he set up a charitable trust, the Aggregate Foundation, which provided the income required to establish and operate the Centre for Business History in Scotland, the first fully-funded centre for research in business history in Britain, at the Department of Economic and Social History. He was awarded an LLD for his services to business archives and industrial history in 1988.
Born in Johnstone, Lind trained as a shipwright. He completed his National Service after the Second World War and joined the Territorial Army, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel before retiring in 1972.
In 1951, Lind joined the family quarrying business, William Lind & Co, and subsequently assumed control of the company. In 1967, he formed a Loanhead Transport in partnership with Donald Malcolm of WH Malcolm. He sold the quarry business to Tarmac in 1972 but continued to manage Loanhead Transport until he sold his share in the business in 1987.
Lind was an enthusiastic industrial historian with a particular interest in the story of engineering and shipbuilding in Scotland. He was Chairman of the Renfrewshire Archaeological Society and of the Scottish Society for Industrial Archaeology, and Honorary Secretary of the Business Archives Council of Scotland. Two years after setting up the Aggregate Foundation, to provide funding for the study of business history at the University, he created the Ballast Trust to fund a technical archive centre at Johnstone. In his will, Lind left GBP 3 million to be shared equally by the Trust and the Aggregate Foundation.
Quarrymaster and Road Haulier
Born 24 January 1931, Johnstone, Scotland.
Died 22 October 2007.
University Link: Benefactor, Honorary Graduate
GU Degree: LLD, 1988;
Occupation categories: quarrymasters; road hauliers
View Additional Information
Record last updated: 17th Nov 2010