University Gardens, 8

Description

8 University Gardens currently houses the Student and Staff Support offices for the School of Culture & Creative Arts as well as Scottish Literature.

The house was built between 1894 and 1904 by John James Burnet. It was located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent which was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. The A listed building was designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts detailing. The precise orientation and direction of the street appears to have been unknown from the outset and the design of this house strongly marks a change in direction, with its bay and octagonal turret tucked in at the corner.

The house's first occupant was Joseph Coats, Professor of Pathology from 1894 until his death in 1899. Professor Coats' wife continued to live at the premises after her husband's death. The next resident was William Robert Scott. He was Professor of Political Economy from 1915 to 1940. David Fyfe Anderson, Muirhead Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University from 1946 to 1970, moved into No.8 in 1941.

Summary

University Gardens, 8
8 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015