The Square, 6

Description

6 The Square is part of the Stair Building, which comprises No.5–10 The Square, and currently houses the School of Law.

Prior to its use as meeting rooms, lecture halls, and offices, No.6 was one of the 13 townhouses built in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott to house the University’s Professors. It was first occupied from 1870 to 1906 by George Gilbert Ramsay, Professor of Humanity at the University from 1863 to 1906. John Swinnerton Phillimore was Professor of Humanity from 1906 to 1927 and as such should have moved to No.6 but, having lived at No.5 as Professor of Greek from 1899 to 1906, elected to stay at 5 The Square.

From 1906 to 1934 No.6 was occupied by Gilbert Austin Davies who was Professor of Greek at the University during this time.

William Rennie, Professor of Greek, occupied No.6 from 1934 to 1946. The next resident was William Maclagan, Professor of Moral Philosophy from 1946 to 1969, who lived at 6 The Square during this time. He was followed by Bryan Jennett, Professor of Neurosurgery from 1968 to 1991.

The last Professor to reside at 6 The Square was David T.H. Weir, Professor of Organizational Behaviour from 1979 to 1989.

Summary

The Square, 6
6 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015